Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hoover U5269-900 EmPower Bagless Upright Vacuum

Hoover U5269-900 EmPower Bagless Upright Vacuum

Price: $89.95
Manufacturer: Hoover
Buy from amazon.com

Hoover EmPower Bagless Upright that puts you in control. The EmPower is quiet when you want it to be and has extra power when you need it.

Information

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #3268 in Kitchen & Housewares
  • Color: Calypso Green
  • Brand: Hoover
  • Model: U5269-900
  • Released on: 2005-06-15
  • Number of items: 1
  • Dimensions: 31.00 pounds
  • Bagless upright vacuum with 15-inch cleaning path from Hoover; hush mode available for quiet cleaning
  • Teflon-coated HEPA filtration cartridge removes air impurities and allergens; debris collects in removable double-chamber dust cup
  • 12-amp motor features push-button power surge for heavy-duty dirt extraction; 5 height settings available for various carpets and floors
  • Onboard accessories include hand-held power tool for pet hair and vertical cleaning; with a 31-foot power cord and fold-down handle
  • Vacuum weighs 21 pounds upon shipping; 1-year warranty

Product Reviews

Amazon.com Review
With a custom power boost function for serious matting and soiling, Hoover offers their EmPower bagless vacuum for household cleaning needs. The upright 12-amp vacuum offers two power settings and five height levels to accommodate a wide variety of floor and carpet types, while eradicating both deeply embedded debris and light layers of dust. With a long-lasting HEPA cartridge filter, the vacuum also improves an environment's air quality, stripping away dust mites, ragweed, and most grass pollen. In removing and containing these allergens, the newly vacuumed room provides relief for sufferers of seasonal allergies like hay fever and helps minimize the discomfort for individuals with cat or dog allergies.

To ensure a clean carpet, the 15-inch wide vacuum head features a helpful headlight to illuminate soiled patches. The agitation from the vacuum's brush roll uproots dirt from even the plushest carpet, with the option of the push button power boost for heavy-duty cleaning. To accommodate households with sleeping babies, children at study, or other volume sensitive inhabitants, the EmPower model is endowed with a Hush mode, operating on lower power for quieter maintenance. Debris travels through a Teflon-coated HEPA cartridge filter into a sealed dual-chamber dust cup. The chambers are transparent to allow easy monitoring of the dust cup's fullness. The dust cup detaches from the vacuum body for easy emptying. Vacuum tools and accessories include a powered hand tool for pet hair and stair step cleaning, extension wand, upholstery nozzle, crevice wand, and an extra-reach hose. The vacuum handle folds down for compact storage. The power cord on this vacuum spans 31 feet in distance. For the best results, the HEPA filter should be replaced every three years and should never be washed. Hoover offers a one-year warranty for this item. The pre-assembled vacuum weighs 21 pounds upon shipping. --Jessica Reuling


Pleasantly Surprised
I was a bit worried when I first bought this, since the box didn't list any specifics about the power level of the cleaner. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. If you want a great vacuum but don't want to spend the equivalent of a car payment on a Dyson, buy the EmPower. It's pretty powerful, and the pet attachment does exactly what it's supposed to do. I was kind of freaked out with all the dirt, dust and pet hair that ended up in the cannister, but seeing all that plus a clean carpet gives you a pretty good feeling of satisfaction. The cord is extra loooong, which makes going from room to room easier, and the brushes on the bottom of the vacuum really work the nap of the carpet to make it look brand new when you're done. The rotating brushes also create a traction feature, like a lawnmower, that makes it glide across the carpet surface - since I'm so used to pushing crummy cleaners, it almost flew out of my hand the first time I used it. I agree about the "hush" mode feature, however - sounds like a regular vacuum to me. But since I didn't buy it for that feature (who looks for a quiet vacuum?), I don't care that it's really a non-feature.

I suspect Hoover is phasing this model out, since it's on sale practically everwhere I see it (I got mine at Home Depot), but as long as they continue to sell the filters, this is going to be my primary vac for a long time to come. It's a great buy at this price and higher.

I Love It!
I am so glad that I bought this vacuum. I have grown up using vacuums with bags, and I simply prefer the bagless vacuums more. They may not necessarily pick up any better then a bagged vacuum, but bagless vacs are just much easier to deal with, especially this one. There is no getting your fingers inside the vacuum just to empty it. You just simply pop out the canister and you're ready to go. I tried out many vacuums before I bought this, trying to decide on features that I wanted and needed.

What I like about the EmPower:
* It's easy to pick up and carry in a multi-level home, it's light, and the carry handle is a great feature!
* The carpet height dial is easy to turn, not stiff like many other vacuums. This is great for a home like mine with a mix of carpets, hardwood, and area Rugs. I don't have to deal with sore fingers from trying to change the carpet height constantly.
* The canister is easy to remove, clean, and replace. Many bagless vacs that I tried were quite difficult, they may as well have been vacs with bags.
* Having a handle that folds down is a decent space saver in a house with horrible storage
* It keeps it's suction better than any vacuum I have ever used
* It's sturdy and good looking
* The attachments are easy to get to and use

What I don't like about the EmPower
* I wish the canister was bigger and could hold more

Some tips on using a bagless
* empty the canister after two uses...I have to do this because my dog sheds horribly
* empty the canister outside, I usually do this the day before my trash gets picked up. This way, all of the dust that escapes is not escaping into your house, and is going straight to the dumpster.
* I keep an old utility brush right by my garbage can outside so that I can brush off the filter, this keeps it very clean.

This vacuum is a great buy, I have no doubt. If you are on the fence on this decision, you cannot lose with this product.

It really sucks! (in a good way)
This vac sucks up more cat hair than any vac I have ever used! I collected the equivalent of three cats when I did my whole house after I got this machine. I had to empty it three times in one day because it had collected so much hair. It did so much better a job than the old wind tunnel, that the carpets had returned to a color much closer to the original.

The attachments all come along with you although I am not crazy about the hose connection. You must disconnect one end of the hose to use the attachments. This works OK, but then when you're done, you have to reconnect it. This doesn't work as well as I would like. I have to admit that I have arthritis in my hands, so that may be the reason I have trouble.

Also the hose is not long enough to do stairs etc. You can buy a hose extender according to the book, but I found that the hose extender that came with the old wind tunnel works with this machine, so if you have one of those, you've already got one!

Despite the minor complaints, I am very happy with the job this machine does and would highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment